Higher Level Teaching Assistants (HLTA)
Thinking of becoming a HLTA?
What is HLTA Status?
- Higher level teaching assistants undertake a wide variety of roles – some work across the curriculum, some act as specialist assistants for a specific subject or department – the work varies according to the needs, type and age-phase of the school.
- In all cases HLTA have at least one specific area of expertise in the development of learning and well-being of children and young people.
- In all cases HLTA work with individuals, small groups and whole classes to lead learning.
- HLTA status is awarded by Welsh Government to individuals who have proved that they meet the current National Requirements for HLTA.
Candidates are required to have:
- Achieved a qualification on first language Welsh or English / literacy and mathematics/numeracy at level 2 of the national qualifications framework equivalent to GCSE A-C, or above and they must be able to provide proof of the details of those qualifications
- Sufficient experience to provide evidence that they meet the requirements in relation to the HLTA status
- Have had experience of teaching a whole class without a teacher being present
- The endorsement and support of the headteacher
Information about the HLTA Programme 2018-19
If you are interested in becoming an HLTA, information sessions will take place in the following schools:
- 5th June – YG Llangynwyd, Bridgend between 4.00pm – 5.00pm
- 6th June - Ynysboeth Community Primary - RCT between 4.00pm – 5.00pm
- 7th June - Bryncethin Primary School - Bridgend between 4.00pm – 5.00pm
- 11th June – Cyfarthfa Park Primary – Merthyr Tydfil between 4.00pm – 5.00pm
- 13th June - Evenlode Primary - Vale of Glamorgan 4.00pm – 5.00pm
- 14th June – Ysgol y Deri – Vale of Glamorgan between 4.00pm – 5.00pm
- 18th June - Ysgol y Ddraig - Vale of Glamorgan between 4.00pm – 5.00pm
- 20th June – Thornhill Primary – Cardiff between 4.00pm – 5.00pm
For further information please contact Matthew.Robbins@cscjes.org.uk
APPLICATION PACK FOR THE 2017-18 HLTA PROGRAMME
Closing date for returning applications for the Autumn round is 6th July 2018.
|Timetable for HLTA 2018-19||Autumn Cohort||Spring Cohort|
|Application Information available on line||At all times||At all times|
|Awareness Raising Sessions||See above||TBC|
|Closing date for Applications||06/07/2018||01/02/2019|
|Notify applicants of outcome w/c||16/07/2018||11/02/2019|
|HLTA Briefing Day 1||12/09/2018||w/c 04/03/2019|
|HLTA Briefing Day 2||26/09/2018||w/c 18/03/2019|
|HLTA Briefing Day 3||10/10/2018||w/c 01/04/2019|
|Closing date Tasks||05/11/2018||03/05/2019|
|HLTA Assessment Period||12/11/2018 - 30/11/2018||13/05/2019 - 14/06/2019|
|Outcome Letters to Candidates w/c||17/12/2018||08/07/2019|
NEW NATIONAL TRAINING FOR ASPIRING HLTAs 2018/2019
In addition to the above information sessions there will be one day training programme on 2nd July 2018 from 9am – 3.00pm at Coleg-y-Cymoedd, Nantgarw, CF15 7QX.
This is for teaching assistants who are interested in following the HLTA scheme in 2018-19. This training day is an opportunity for you to receive more extensive information, to network, to collaborate and to develop professionally. Information will be provided on the day about: the HLTA scheme and what is required in order to apply; the experiences of previous HLTA candidates; how to get Level 2 qualifications locally (English/Welsh/Maths); the Professional Learning Passport; changes in Education etc.
One day's supply costs will be reimbursed to your school for this one day programme. Please note that places are limited.
To book a place at any of the above sessions please contact Matthew.Robbins@cscjes.org.uk