Highly effective school self-evaluation and improvement planning are critical to the development of a self-improving system. The core tasks of the consortium are:
- To work with all schools, headteachers and governing bodies, to improve outcomes for learners, working more intensively with those where the need to improve is greatest.
- To support every school in its work to carry out self-evaluation, improvement planning and to put in place the right support to improve learning, teaching and leadership.
- To supply sharp and appropriate data and intelligence to schools to support self-evaluation and target setting.
- To develop and broker high quality support, increasingly using peer enquiry as well as the resources such as the school improvement groups, pathfinder partnerships hubs, and consultant leaders and governors.
- To support the local authority’s capacity for statutory intervention where needed.
- To support local authorities and their schools to deliver key Welsh Government priorities that focus on school improvement.The development of a self-improving school system occurs when all partners embrace the accountability which is necessary to deliver sustainable improvement across the system.