The Central South Consortium will work to, “Strengthen school governance to provide effective leadership, challenge and support,” to aid Governors in, “understanding and fulfilling their role within individual settings effectively.” CSC Business Plan 2020-2021, Priority 2
There are over 6000 school governors in the Central South Consortium (CSC) region, all of whom passionately volunteer their time, knowledge and skills to their schools. As a crucial part of the leadership of schools they have enormous capacity and influence in school improvement.
CSC have worked with governors across the region to develop a regional support offer and to engage governing bodies in collaborative models like Governor Improvement Groups. We have also trained and deployed consultant governors to support governing bodies who require additional capacity. A key part of this offer is the delivery of both in person and online training opportunities, as well as the development of guidance documents and resources to support governors in their role.
All professional learning opportunities in Central South Consortium are designed to support schools to develop as learning organisations across the seven dimensions of the framework and/or to support practitioners in the professional standards for teaching and leadership (PSTL). Through the professional learning passport, practitioners can record their professional learning activities.
We currently offer the following e-learning assignments for Governors through the Hwb digital platform:
- New Governor Induction (Mandatory for all new Governors to complete within their first year of appointment)
- Understanding School Data (Mandatory for all new Governors to complete within their first year of appointment)
- New Chairperson Induction (Mandatory for all new Chairs to complete within 6 months of their appointment)
- New Clerk Induction (Mandatory for all new Clerks to complete within 6 months of their appointment)
- The Governors role in Headteacher Performance Management (Recommended for all members of the HTPM committee)
- Effective Challenge & Support Training (Recommended for all governors who have been a member for over one year)
- Curriculum for Wales professional learning for Governors (Recommended for all Governors)
You can find all links to access all e-learning assignments here
N.B. In order to access the Hwb platform Governors must contact their School’s Digital Champion, who will be able to create an account.
Information and Guidance
Information and Guidance for Governors can be found through our E-Learning assignments and our governor resources (see below).
For National guidance regarding the Governance of Schools please refer to https://gov.wales/school-governance.
For details on the laws surrounding the governance of schools please refer to https://gov.wales/school-governors-guide-law
For Local Authority Governor support services, please refer to:
General resources for Governors:
- Introduction to the Role of School Governor
- New Chairperson Guidance and Information Pack
- Common Educational Acronyms
- Reports produced by the North Cardiff Secondary Schools Governor Improvement Group
- Examples of evaluative words used in Estyn reports
Resources from previous events:
- Summer Briefing Sessions 2019: Professional Standards for teaching and Leadership
- Summer Conference for School Governors 2019: Wellbeing in Education
- Spring Briefing Sessions 2019: Additional Learning Needs and Education Tribunal Act
- Summer Conference for School Governors 2018: The National Mission
- Summer Conference for School Governors 2017: Successful Futures
For further support and guidance please contact:
firstname.lastname@example.org or your Local Authority Governor Support Unit
Other areas of professional learning
Equity and Wellbeing / Curriculum / Pedagogy / Welsh Language Development / Teaching Assistants / Induction / Leadership / Educational Visits / Lead Creative Schools Scheme / NQT Induction / Initial Teacher Education